Saturday, March 2, 2013

Filled Under:

“Ex” vs. “Former . . . ”




. . . according to the Navy there IS a difference . . .

Must be a Navy / Marine thing . . . much ado about nothing, me thinks . . . S.L.



OK Team we're going to go over this one more time and then I'm going to put it to rest so lissen up:


FORMER :

(English) - having been previously; onetime ( i.e. a former athlete )


EX :

(Latin) - Out of, Out from ( ablative form )


A couple years back I was sitting across a table from a retired Recon Marine and he repeated a phrase I have heard before: "There's no such thing as a former Marine."

The only difference between what he said and the way it was originally told to me; "There's no such thing as a former Green Beret."



I am a retired Special Forces soldier, still serving in other capacities. I consider myself a soldier, I use the skills acquired in a quarter a century of soldiering in my work today. There is nothing "former" about my status; I maintain the capabilities that a Special Forces soldier represents.

When I introduce myself within professional circles, I refer to myself as "ex-military" - meaning I'm out of the military. It doesn't mean the military is out of me.




- STORMBRINGER SENDS



0 comments:

Post a Comment